Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Last Week of April Lunches

Monday, April 28, 2014

More of trying and trying and trying to put a food in Squirrel's face that she isn't a fan of to try and get her to at least try it. Slight success today:


Squirrel got two toaster waffle PB sammies, a hard-boiled egg flower, salt in the pink tub, cantaloupe, carrot sticks, white chocolate-covered pretzels, her smoothie, and juice in the thermos. I say sort of a success because she slightly nibbled on the egg! Better than completely ignoring it, right? Surprisingly, she didn't eat her cantaloupe, and she loves that. I tried some later, though, and I don't think it was quite ripe. Boo.


For lunch today, big sissy KK got a turkey and cheese mini sub on a hawaiian sweet roll. Those things are so stinking good. She also has three sweet peppers, cantaloupe, a tulip-shaped hard-boiled egg with a little twist of salt and pepper underneath, and a bag of her favorite spicy chili-lime tortilla roll chips underneath. Incidentally, neither this lunch box nor last weeks have come back yet, so I think I'm going to have to start going even more disposable than I already am :(

Tuesday, April 29, 2014


I had this super-awesome idea of surprising Squirrel with a dino sammy today (using the heels - if you put them heel-in, she can't ever tell), only to put the PB&J on the wrong sides! The two dino halves are sort of traveling different directions, I guess. She also got a greek yogurt tube, grapes, strawberries, celery, carrots, and broccoli w/ ranch. OJ in the Thermos. Unfortunately, only the yogurt, strawberries, and OJ were consumed. Not even the confused-dino sammy!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Hairstyle Appreciation Day!! I think this might be one of the most random 'holidays' I've seen on my list, but it sounded fun to roll with. She also requested to use a bag that was not insulated, on an 88 degree F day because her friend has the same bag and they want to match. Bah. 


She got a pretty not-healthy lunch, but oh well. Squirrel had a PB sammy on a hotdog bun with yogurt tube hair. This particular kid is not a red-head, but they don't sell dirty blonde yogurt tubes so I had to improvise. I cut a mini-donut in half (damn grocery shopping hungry), and decided to use them as arms. Very beefy, scary arms, but she bought them! Well, ate them at least. Ms Hotdog also had a tortilla chip skirt, some random grapes tossed around, and her normal Wednesday meal replacement shake on the side. I was pretty worried about the lack of insulation in her bag, so I froze her yogurt tube and the shake, and snuck in an ice pack anyway. She said everything was still cold so, win for me!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Happy May Day! And Mother Goose Day!


A few weeks ago Squirrel's kindergarten class had little faux-plays about Mother Goose nursery rhymes, and Squirrel played Little Miss Muffet. It sounded like a good lunch theme to me! Miss Muffet is a PB&J sammy with a fruit leather dress and smile. Her hair is crust that is glued on with honey. Her spider is a mini cupcake from the freezer with pretzel legs. I used the sprinkles that came on it for a face, and decorated two of them (and Miss Muffet's eyes) with food-safe markers. The spider is sitting in mozzarella-shred 'curds,' and her tuffet is made from broccoli. She also got strawberry and celery flowers for May Day, celery grass with ranch in the shamrock tub, and a few pretzels on the side. Her 'whey' (milk) was in the Thermos. Another hot day, so I had frozen some milk to keep her milk cold. She'd been complaining about water ice cubes watering down her milk, and this seemed to work great!

Friday, May 2, 2014

She again begged for the non-insulated Miss Piggy bag. Curse that thing!


It was a bit cooler today, but I still got a bit creative with the cooling for her lunch as I completely forgot about the no-insulation thing until I'd already made her cream cheese and orange marmalade sammy sushi and it occurred to me that an eighty-degree day + cream cheese = not awesomeness. So I used reusable 'ice cubes.' I found them 5/$1 (one bag) at the Target Dollar spot. They're jewel-shaped. She also had carrots and celery, popcorn chex mix stuff, and strawberry and banana skewers. She got milk with frozen milk cubes in her Thermos on the side. Which she left at school! Luckily, there was still one teacher still in her classroom that had a door to the outside when I picked her up at 5pm that let us in. Can you imagine if that was in her classroom all hot weekend? Ick.

See ya next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment